On 22nd June 1940, Sir Winston Churchill sent a note to the war office requesting the formation of an elite corps of at least 5000 parachutists. In only five months, 5000 parachutists had fully qualified from the Parachute Training School, which had been established at Ringway Airport near Manchester, and the 11th Special Air Service Battalion was formed. In October 1941, Major General FAM (Boy) Browning DSO, was ordered to form an Airborne Division and was appointed its GSO. Major Browning was responsible for the design of the regiment’s emblem, Bellerophon mounted on the winged horse Pegasus.
As recounted in Greek Mythology, Bellerophon, with spear in hand, rode through the air on Pegasus swooping down on the terrifying Chimera, and destroying it. This myth is the first documented account of an airborne warrior, providing the perfect emblem for the 11th Special Air Service Battalion.